August 18, 2009

Quentin Tarantino's Top 20 Flicks of the Last 17 Years

Over at incontention.com they've got Quentin Tarantino's Top 20 Flicks of the Last 17 years. That takes you back to 1992, the year that Tarantino arrived on the scene as a filmmaker.

Last week he came to MTV to promote Inglorious Basterds, unfortunately, he cancelled tape interviews and I didn't get a chance to meet him. I had been writing my Tarantino interview questions in my mind from the moment I had heard he was coming in to promote the movie back in July. However, in lieu of talking flicks with him, getting his list of the top twenty movies of the last 17 years is a decent runner-up prize.

The list is pretty interesting. In typical QT style, the list has some surprises, quirky choices, and some really mainstream stuff that he likes that you wouldn't expect (Uh, Speed? Anything Else? That's the Jason Biggs Woody Allen film!) That being said, he has some movies I really love on this list, though. Dazed & Confused, Lost in Translation, The Matrix, The Insider, Shaun of the Dead. I found what he had to say about The Matrix particularly interesting because that movie, for a long stretch, fell down on my list because I was so disappointed in the shitty sequels that followed. Now, as the stench of those movies had dissipated, I find my affection for the original film has grown again. I'm also on board with him about Unbreakable, which I thought was a criminally under-rated movie, but he loses me altogether when he praises Speed.

2 comments:

  1. Although I love Japan, Scarlett Johansson, and Bill Murray, I was entirely underwhelmed by Lost in Translation. Thought it was completely over-rated.
    I do hear amazing things about Unbreakable though. I want to see it.

    ReplyDelete