July 28, 2010

Do It del Torro


Last week I lamented the super lame choice Guillermo del Torro made when he agreed to direct a film based on the Walt Disney attraction 'The Haunted Mansion.'  I might have even suggested this odd choice could have been the related to Disney backing up a dump truck full of cash to del Torro's home, or perhaps, offering him a minor stake of the theme park attraction itself.    Turns out I was wrong and he had a legitimate, personal reason to make such a (seemingly) lame movie.  del Torro he's been a huge fan of the attraction essentially his entire life.  He recently revealed, during a Comic-Con panel that he's been working on his film adaption of this ride basically his whole life.  "I've been writing that for more than 40 years.  I've been there very year for more than 40 years."  There are fans, and then there are super fans.  del Torro fits into the latter category.  "I have my own 'Haunted Mansion' in my man cave in my own that you can access through a secret workshop."  Sorry what?  He has a secret workshop?  "I have the original gargoyles from the original rides.  Every collectable piece I've been gather for more than 30 years, it's an obsession." All of that being said, I'm still extremely skeptical about this movie, though learning he has a legitimate reason to make the movie helps that cause, as does this quote, which he gave to MTV News correspondent Josh Horowitz "The movie I see in my head of 'Haunted Mansion' is not what I believe anyone is imagining it would be.  It's not just a regular world with a haunted mansion plopped in the middle.  I'm really thinking of a movie with a heightened reality, which is super designed, incredibly innovative, narratively and visually.  When people think of 'The Haunted Mansion' they think they know.  But I really want to push a lot of stuff that they have not seen ever."

That sounds more like Guillermo del Torro.

No comments:

Post a Comment