February 2, 2010

Zooey Gets In Bed With HBO

If it wasn't for HBO - and perhaps my pay cheque - I think I might have already given up on television. The bulk of the TV shows I watch - with the exception of NBC's Thursday night comedy lineup - are HBO content. There's just something more real about the freedom cable TV offers; the freedom that gives the storytellers the ability to create characters that behave like actual human beings. You know, people that swear, fuck, smoke pot and live lives without a laughtrack. I'm already eagerly anticipating one of their upcoming projects, the Martin Scorsese produced 'Boardwalk Empire' (my original thoughts here) and now Deadline: Hollywood is reporting that HBO's made a deal with Zooey Deschanel, an actress I find utterly charming, to bring the notorious tell-all biography of infamous groupie Pamela Des Barres to the small screen as a television series.

Des Barres spent the late 60's and the bulk of the 70's being passed around like a joint by a litany of bands ranging from the Rolling Stones to the Byrds to Zeppelin to The Who, and she spilled all the stories in her memoir, 'I'm With the Band: Confessions of a Groupie.' Deschanel, who will executive produce the series as well as starring in it, should have some interesting insights to offer as a musician herself. Deschanel also co-starred in Almost Famous, the best movie ever made about music in my opinion, and certainly the best flick about groupies. The world of the groupie is an interesting place to set a television series. Each season could see her spending time with new bands, bringing new characters and fresh blood to the show. No word on when this pilot will see the light of day, but it's definitely a project I will be monitoring.

No comments:

Post a Comment